Tuesday, February 22, 2005

Help Wanted

Can it be harder to look for a job?
I cannot fight with myself anymore, that's why I decided to annoy others who regularly visit my blog. Perhaps someone wants to leave some words of support.

Should I start a fundraising event in order to save an artist from starvation?

I lost the count of how many resumes I have printed, emails I have sent and applications I have filled. Obviously I started with my 'dream' jobs, hoping to practice my skills and impress others with my abilities in graphic design and photography. I still remember those sunny days of january were every day I could dream that my phone will ring with a job offer.

February arrived with an unexpected expense, after running a rental car over my laptop I had to buy another one ASAP. That hole in my budget has kept me counting bills instead of sheeps when I go to bed every night ever since.

I can see the month of march happily approaching at a supersonic speed, my dream jobs are far behind in the list, as everyday I apply to almost everything that is listed in the newspapers. Help wanted. Fax your resume. Email schedule preferences. No phone calls.

My fridge looks like a runway, yet everyday people find that I am a fascinating asset for their organizations and I get offers to volunteer all the time. Exactly what I need.

-"Type up to 60 wpm" - so I can type easily on this blog all my complains about a job quest
-"Bilingual" so I scream a loud "La mierda!!!" when I find out that someone with no skills but lots of contacts got one of my dream jobs.
-"Experience with Office and graphic design software" - ahhh... the good old times
-"B.F.A. in Visual Arts" - yes, I know. I should have listened to the grown-ups.
-"Currently a Master's student in Arts Administration" - Thank God! The scolarship keeps me alive!!

Hopefully the people I give as a reference hasn't been contacted for every application I have filled, otherwise soon I will start picking up phone numbers from the white pages. I believe there are things more frustrating in life than not finding any job at all... Perhaps all of them start with the same basics : an empty stomach.

You are right, I am in an unstoppable winging-mode.

No comments:

Post a Comment